Normally, the water enters and leaves our body at the same amount. But what does this circuit when the water goes wrong? What are the signs suggestive of fluid retention? When the body does not completely eliminate the water that comes in the form of food and beverages, the body retains water and swells.
That can occur only temporarily, if not, swell the body more! For a while, the body can retain excess water. It may also, following a health problem, a known area in which it keeps too much water, and this causes edema or swelling.
What are the signs of water retention?
Water retention is manifested by unexplained weight gain, up to 2 kilos. The latter is associated with swelling in the breasts, in the abdomen, ankles and legs, or even the whole body.
Water retention may simply be physiological ...
This is normal for water retention, which are not associated with disease. The most common concerns women while on the premenstrual period. Signs of fluid retention occur in the days before the rules, for hormonal reasons. Weight gain is quite brutal than 500 grams to two kilograms, and is often associated with swelling and increased breast tenderness.
This type of water retention does not require treatment, and the phenomenon disappears in one or two days upon arrival of the rules. At this point, the woman can see that she will urinate often because that is how the stored water starts again from the body. Water retention may also be related to very prolonged immobility. Thus the long flights or car can cause water retention, when we can mobilize the leg muscles for hours. In this case, feet and ankles swell. Please note that the water retention may also be due to illness. Water retention may be due to various diseases. Edema and can cover areas quite different.
Examples of the most common:
- Venous insufficiency of the lower limbs.
- When the leg veins are struggling to raise the blood to the heart, there may be swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Treatment consists of treating venous insufficiency.
- Heart failure.
- If the heart muscle, which acts as a pump, the work improperly done, the blood has trouble free driving.
- This produces edema of the feet and ankles.
- In more severe cases, there may be edema of the lungs which makes breathing difficult.
- This is water retention in the stomach, more exactly in the peritoneal cavity.
- It is often related to liver disease, or inflammation of the peritoneum, the membrane used in the belly.
- The generalized edema may occur following such an allergy.
- In certain allergies, there is a very localized edema.
- For example a bee sting on the hand may swell the whole arm.
What to do against water retention?
It does absolutely nothing to try to drink less.
Indeed, the body retains water due to an imbalance or an abnormality, not because he brings too much moisture.
When fluid retention occurs because of prolonged immobility, can be prevented by wearing compression stockings and taking care to move your legs regularly.
Otherwise, for other cases, the treatment of water retention is to treat the disease in question.
If you do not have any particular disease, and that you have small water retention a few days before your period or after meals too rich and / or watered too, there are additional solutions herbal.
However, never use this type of product chronically without consulting your doctor. Even plants have cons-indications and side effects.